The forerunner of Utica High School, the Utica Union School, opened in 1860. It was renamed Utica High School in 1900. The current Eppler Jr. High School served as Utica High School from 1929-1955, when the present building was constructed.
Utica High School is the district's original high school. It served as the sole high school until Henry Ford II and Eisenhower High Schools opened in the '70s.
Utica High School has been recognized by Newsweek Magazine as one of America’s Best High Schools and one of the state's most academically challenging by the Washington Post.