Specialty Program Information for the 2024-2025 School Year
The Utica Center for Mathematics, Science, and Technology welcomes eighth grade students to apply for acceptance to UCMST during the Utica Community Schools Specialty Program Application period. Applications and the timeline will be available on this site as soon as they are available. For more information on the Utica Community Schools Specialty Programs, see Policy 6275.
Algebra I Requirement
Students entering the Utica Center for Mathematics, Science, and Technology must have successfully completed both semesters of Algebra I prior to beginning the program during their freshman year. If a student is not currently enrolled in Algebra I nor has completed the course prior to 8th grade, arrangements must be made for the student to complete Algebra I before the first day of school at UCMST. For information on how to complete this requirement, please contact your home school counseling office.
UCS Specialty Program Timeline
Between November 1, 2023 and November 13, 2023, MST will make two presentations to the Junior High School students to introduce them to the program.
- Secondary Specialty Program application opens January 19, 2024 at 4:00 p.m.
- Find a link to the application here (only active during application window)
- The application is due January 29, 2026 at 4:00 p.m.
Specialty Programs Parent Information Night will begin at 6:30 p.m.
UCMST IRC January 17, 2024
Specialty Program testing dates:
February 10, 2024
at 8:00 AM
March 2, 2024
at 12:00 PM
Notification Mailing Date: Accept/Decline/Waitlist notifications will be sent by email on March 18, 2024
Program Commitment Date: April 8, 2024 at 3:00 PM
If a current 8th grade student is interested in shadowing a current UCMST student to find out more about the program, please fill out the UCMST Student Shadow Request Form using this link or the QR code below. Students may request to shadow anytime prior to the UCS Specialty Program Application Due Date. Once you have completed and submitted the form, you will be contacted by a UCMST staff member within one week to confirm your visit.
Entrance Test Requirement
An admissions test is required for students applying to the Utica Center for Mathematics, Science, and Technology. This test is one of four program requirements for admission to UCMST. Please see the Utica Community Schools Secondary Specialty Programs Application for details about other program requirements. This testing will assess mathematics and science reasoning as well as give students an opportunity to respond to a writing prompt. See below for more details:
The mathematics portion of the UCMST entrance exam will be evaluated by using the student's results on a locally developed mathematics exam.
There are two components to the science test (Scientific Reasoning and Data Analysis).
Students are given the opportunity to express a logical rationale as to why their personal goals coincide with the goals of the Utica Center for Mathematics, Science, and Technology.
Previous years’ writing prompts:
1. We are interested in finding out about you and your interests. Below, please tell us why you have chosen to apply to MST. Also tell us about any special areas of interest you have in science, math, and/or technology, as well as if there are any future career paths you are interested in pursuing.
2. Describe a circumstance, event, or experience in which you were academically or intellectually challenged. How did you respond to this challenge? What skills and resources did you use to face this challenge? Did it change you? If so, how?
Materials to bring for testing:
- Pencils with erasers
- Students may bring a small snack (nut free) and/or beverage to the testing session to be consumed during the short break between tests.