- Utica Community Schools
Henry Ford II Career Fair connects professionals from various occupations with more than 350 students
Professionals from multiple industries dropped by to network and educate Ford II Falcons on possible paths available after high school.
Behind this successful and beneficial event were Utica-Ford DECA members Mareena DeTomaso (12) and Zumra Sinanovic (12).
The two seniors are partnered up for their DECA competitive event: Career Development Project. DeTomaso further explained the inspiration behind designing the Career Fair, “Our Career Development Project prepares adolescents for post-high school paths and educates them on all the opportunities out there to ensure they have an idea of what to go into after high school. We also wanted to decrease the chances of them going into the real world blindly as the past generations did.”
“We started at Floyd Ebeling Elementary School to share various career information and spark interest among the young children,” Sinanovic asserted. “When we came back, we thought we should do this with high schoolers as well.”
QR codes, as well as flyers, were posted around the school for students to sign up and introduce their parents or anybody in the workforce that they know.
Mrs. Jennifer Milke, Henry Ford II’s Marketing/Small Business Teacher and DECA Advisor, assisted the DECA members in reaching out and inviting many professionals to share information about their career with students, as well as organizaagin and hosting the career fair.
The career fair was a huge success. Many students took advantage of the opportunity to explore careers and ask specific questions pertaining to the various careers at the career fair.
Biggest thanks to our professionals:
- John Gallagher – Firefighter/EMT Chief
- Dr. Keith Brennan – Chiropractor & Wellness Provider
- Melanie Walker – Remarketing Intern & College of Business Student Ambassador
- Garret Bollenbacher & Sophie Moore – Corporate Recruiter
- Teresa Dennis – Certified Public Accountant
- Rachel Queener – Human Resources Manager
- Cassie Edwards & Cheryl Whiteman – Childcare Coordinator/Early Coordinator
- Lisa Vargo – Certified Public Accountant
- Dujla Murad – Registered Nurse
- Gary Kennedy II – Assistant Public Defender
- Darren Steele – K9 Police Officer
- Greg Johnson – Director of Service Operations
- Samantha Willette – Dental Hygienist
- Rodolfo Benavidez-Diaz – Director of Educational Services
- Arianna Endicott – Food News Writer
- Robert Peltier – IT Lead
- Zac Waldorf – Engineering Designer
- Jennifer Harmon – Licensed Master Social Worker
- Lynn Schultz – Physical Therapist
- Kirk Trainer – Trainer/Consultant
- Kimberly Houston – Founder of Colere Staffing Group
- Samantha Dellapella – Safety Coordinator
- Denise DeTomaso – Service Coordinator
- SSgt. Jenna Gleason & SSgt. Joe Maiuri – Air National Guard Recruiter
- Officer Fisher & Officer Orvelo – Sterling Heights Police Officers